What is a bootloader and why it is locked by manufacturers?
Every Android phone has its unique bootloader that instructs the operating system kernel to boot properly.it is locked by manufacturers simply because they want you to use their ROM and Android version instead of a custom build ROM.It is not possible to flash a custom ROM without unlocking the bootloader.So if you want to play with different ROMs and tweaks then it becomes a necessity to unlock the bootloader but unlocking bootloader may void your warranty.
Steps to unlock the bootloader
- Power off your device.
- Press volume up + volume down + power buttons simultaneously.
- Scroll down and select reboot to bootloader by pressing the power button.
- Connect USB cable and make sure drivers are installed properly.
- Download the file zuk-z1-unlock-and-recovery and extract it.
- Open the extracted folder and press shift + right click simultaneously then select Open command window here.
- Type the following code in command window
fastboot –i 0x2b4c oem unlock-go
- It will give output OKAY.
- Again type the code below to check whether the device is unlocked or not.
fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem get-device-info
- You will get Device unlocked: true.
Steps to install twrp recovery
- open the same command window in the extracted folder.
- type the following code
fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery filename.img
- In this case the file name is Recovery_TWRP so the final code is –
fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery Recovery_TWRP.img
- Hit enter and that’s it.
- To enter into recovery mode Press volume up + volume down + power buttons simultaneously.
So you have successfully unlocked bootloader and installed twrp in your Lenovo Zuk z1.
Messing up with bootloader can hard brick your device so before doing anything to your device make sure you have done everything right.I will not be responsible if you damage your device and the above-mentioned points may or may not 100% correct.